Taylor B. Rogers
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Maryland, MPH, Health Equity Candidate Expected May 2018
University of Maryland, BS, Community Health May 2015
Latino and Black Schooling, Minority Health, Health Disparities by Race, Gender, Age and Class, Introduction to Health Systems, Foundations of Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Social Determinants of Health, Foundations of Environmental Health, Using Demographic Data for Health Policy Analysis, Health Policy Advocacy and Implementation, GIS for Anthropologists, Introduction to Web Programming
Minority health, racial and ethnic disparities, access to quality healthcare, health equity, reproductive and sexual health, social determinants of health, racism, human papillomavirus (HPV), HPV vaccination uptake and completion, cervical cancer
National Cancer Institute & University of Nebraska Medical Center Omaha, NE
Research Fellow, Advisor: Amr Soliman, MD, PhD January 2016 – Present
Project title: Assessment of the Barriers to Follow-Up Screening and Treatment Utilization among Women with Suspected Cervical Cancer in Tanzania
- In May 2017, I will be conducting cervical cancer disparity research in Tanzania through the University of Nebraska Medical Center, Cancer Epidemiology Education in Special Population program. By using a mixed-methods approach, I will be conducting interviews and administering questionnaires to Tanzanian women who have previously or recently screened positive for cervical lesions.
- Thus far, I have been managing the Institutional Review Board approval
- Check out the announcement here!
University of Maryland, Maryland Center for Health Equity College Park, MD
Graduate Researcher, Advisor: Stephen B. Thomas, PhD August 2016 – Present
Research activities designed to reduce and eliminate racial/ethnic health disparities by:
- Conducting the needs assessment and data analysis for the upcoming Catholic Charities Susan D. Mona Center for Health and Wellness in Temple Hill, MD community
- Promoting the utilization of colorectal cancer, diabetes, and blood pressure screenings in Black barbershops and hair salons through community engagement via the Health Advocates In-Reach and Research (HAIR) campaign.
- Planning the 2017 Mid-Maryland Mission of Mercy and Health Equity Festival
- Check out my student biography here!
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Baltimore, MD
Research Assistant, Advisor: Molly Mitchell April 2016 - June 2016
- Observed and recorded sales and service practices of alcohol outlets in close proximity to institutions of higher education in Maryland to help schools identify further ways to reduce excessive drinking among students.
- Conducted field observations using an electronic scanning instrument to assess both on and off-sale alcohol outlets in Baltimore County and Annapolis communities.
Rogers, T. B., Boudreaux, M. Human Papillomavirus Vaccination and Initiation Among Adult Males: The Role of Race and Ethnicity. Public Health Research Day. April 2017.
Scholarships, Honors, and Awards
Senate of Maryland Resolution (No. 639) March 2014
For my role in representing the State of Maryland as the 2014 Cherry Blossom Princess.
Cancer Epidemiology Education in Special Populations (CEESP) January 2017
Research Fellowship, $7,200 travel grant from the National Cancer Institute.
Related Professional Experience
Baltimore County Department of Health Baltimore, MD
Prevention Specialist, Bureau of Behavioral Health 2015 - 2016
- Provided health education, community outreach, and promotion of human service programs in substance abuse and prevention and wellness aiming to prevent the use of alcohol, marijuana and other drugs among Baltimore County adolescents
- Conducted needs assessments through focus groups with Baltimore County youth to understand their perspective on the effects and accessibility of alcohol, marijuana and other drugs.
- Partnered with Johns Hopkins, Towson University and the Maryland Collaborative and was trained to conduct environmental scans and data collection at, on, and off-sale alcohol outlets in Towson to create an intervention for alcohol retailers.
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center Baltimore, MD
Employee Wellness Intern January 2015 – May 2015
- Conducted biometric health screenings and provided health coaching on the improving weight, BMI, waist circumference, cholesterol, and blood glucose results to improve overall health of Bayview employees.
- Designed health awareness materials that were distributed to Bayview employees
- Created surveys to evaluate programs and events then analyzed the results and created data reports and graphics on the qualitative and quantitative data
- Developed and implemented two seminars about nutrition for Bayview employees.
Health Leads, Incorporated Baltimore, MD
Mid-Atlantic Program Intern February 2014 – August 2014
- Recruited, interviewed, selected, trained and managed volunteers at University of Maryland, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, George Washington University and John Hopkins University.
- Redesigned the “Scope of Services” Google site page for volunteer use.
Girls Health Ed. Washington, D.C.
Social Media Intern September 2012 – December 2013
Children’s National Medical Center Washington, D.C.
Health Leads Patient Advocate 2012 - 2013
- Maryland Population Research Center, Student Research Affiliate 2016 - Present
- Maryland Public Health Association, Member 2016 - Present
- American Public Health Association, Member 2015 - Present
- Maryland State Society, Member 2014 - Present
CPR, AED and Basic First Aid Expires April 2018